What others are saying...
"Brody, your priceless editing work has transformed my love for writing and has encouraged me to never stop. Thank you so much for your part in this beautiful journey..." -Heather Glenn, My World of Conceit
"I enjoyed the work of freelancer--BrodyLane...I applaud the freelancer for his dedication, honesty, and smart work..." -Ks*****
What I Edit
I am a lover of fiction, especially novel-length manuscripts. That being said, I will consider non-fiction novels, as well as articles, essays, etc. I reserve the right to deny works based on the following: inappropriate material (gratuitous sex and gore for the sake of gratuitous sex and gore), very rough first drafts (I would prefer not to spend half a year on one project), and content that I would do a disservice to (content is beyond my scope of understanding--math, foreign language, etc.).
I also offer general Beta reading services. I give general feedback per chapter and as a whole. During a Beta read, I will highlight any punctuation, spelling, and grammar errors I see (not an exhaustive proofread...and I will not fix errors, only point them out).
How I Edit
I use MS Word track changes, which allows the author to agree to all corrections made. I am happy to work on content, grammar, format, style, and syntax...basically anything that the manuscript needs. I can also do basic proofreading (spelling errors, punctuation). I adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style, which is what publishers use, and will format as such unless directed otherwise. I correspond through email, but am willing to talk over the phone/skype if desired. Either way, I want to build a relationship with the author, so that I can get a feel for the personality of the manuscript's creator.
Before contacting me with a submission, query me through the contact form. I will then request a manuscript in .doc, or .docx form. All manuscripts should be in a clear font and at least 12 pt size. Also, please be sure to have your name and email within the manuscript.
What I Charge
My charges are specific to each project, though I typically charge between $10-15 per hour, depending on what the project needs. I can also quote a fixed price for an entire project. For hourly rate, payment should be made weekly, based on the hours I work (a detailed time card will be provided). For fixed rate, I require half up front, and the other half upon project completion.
For Beta reading, I charge between $35-100 depending on the length of the provided manuscript.
Every project requires a different time frame to complete. I have a day job, so please understand that my editing blocks may vary from week to week. That being said, I will do my best to be efficient with each project. And I promise that all hours charged will be hours dedicated solely to your manuscript.
- I am not the editor-in-chief of a large publication company. And, I do not have thirty years of experience editing all types of manuscripts. That being said, I am confident in my editing skill.
- I am not perfect. Therefore, I do not make authors sign contracts. If you don't like my work then feel free to go elsewhere. It is solely your project and you have every right to do with it as you please. I will not give full refunds though.
- For the sake of resolving conflict, I am willing to negotiate partial refunds if my work does not meet your standards, or if you decide to go in a different direction. I want to make sure that all conflict is resolved before cutting ties. Unresolved conflict helps no one. Even if there is a problem, I still want us to walk away in good standing.
- Points two and three have not happened before, and I hope they never do.
- I take payment by check or through PayPal. I will not start work until a check has cleared through my bank.
- There is no point six. If you've read this far, then you are ready to submit a query for your manuscript.
----For further questions, please feel free to contact me.
You can also contact me through my freelance portfolio on the following forum: